If you are a baseball player, you know that taking care of your glove is crucial to a successful season. To maintain the glove in its original shape let’s find how to oil an old baseball glove?
How do you know if your baseball glove needs some love? Different signs will let you know it’s time to oil your glove.
For many years we kept on playing the game and forgot to oil our gloves, and with that result, our gloves start getting frying on the webbing or cracks in the leather. Another sign would be stiffness in the fingers when opening and closing them or excessive break-in you will feel while using them for a game.
If you see any of these signs, then it may be time to oil your baseball glove! But that’s not a big issue; you can again make your glove back to its original shining look by knowing how to oil an old baseball glove by following the below steps.
How To Oil An Old Baseball Glove
First of all, remove any dirt or debris from the glove. The fingers should be able to open and close without any stiffness or break-in needed, but you may need to work in a bit of oil on them first before they’re flexible again.
- Unlace the glove and remove everything from it.
- Apply a leather cleaner on one side of the glove, scrubbing that area thoroughly with your hand to get rid of any dirt or grime before doing so in all sections.
- Dry off each section once you have applied oil onto them.
- Clean up any excess fluid. Use conditioner sparingly for added protection
- Now re-lace and tighten accordingly
After following the above step, you will see your baseball glove has retained its original shinning. For a detailed guide, let’s talk step-by-step process.
Unlace The Glove
First of all, you have to unlace the baseball glove before starting the process. While it may sound like a daunting task, unlacing the glove is actually quite easy, and two methods will help you to unlace it quickly.
- Well, all you need to do is pull the lace out from one end of the glove and then slowly work it toward the other. How long does unlacing a baseball glove take? The quickest way would be about two minutes or less.
- The second method is using scissors and cutting the laces, and buying the new one. But generally, this method is perfect if your gloves are more than 5 years old.
- And, the last method is if you’re not too keen on doing it yourself, you can always ask a friend or family member to do this for you. Well, they will actually have an easier time opening and closing when someone uses them because the fingers aren’t all bunched together by the laces.
Applying the Leather Cleaner
The next step in taking care of a baseball glove is to apply the leather cleaner. How should I use it? Well, this will depend on what type of protector you have on the glove. If it’s leather, then you can’t use water on it. So you have to use the oil to clean the gloves.
But for that, you have to be careful if you have never used one before, so you’ll want to check with your manufacturer for specific instructions. If not, then all you need to do is get a rag or a sponge to apply the oil cleaner and then wipe it across your glove.
Please don’t put too much oil cleaner on your glove as little cleaner will not do any harm, but in an excessive amount, it will harm them.
Dry Off the Glove
Now, after successfully applying the cleaner now it’s time to dry off the glove. Take a dry sponge and wipe it all over the glove so that no oil remains on the glove.
Let the baseball glove dry completely for 12-14 hours, depending on the weather. Never put it under direct sunlight as it will damage the material of the baseball glove.
Apply Oil on the Baseball Glove
Never apply the oil directly to the gloves. Many users actually spray directly on the glove that makes it dark for that mistake.
The best way to apply the oil on the glove is by applying the oil to the cloth and rub it on the glove. After applying the oil, rub the glove with a dry cloth till the oil disappears.
Use A Conditioner
Many experts suggest applying the conditioner to soften the glove and increase the performance for many years. Again to apply the conditioner, you should use it with a piece of cloth, or you can also use it with your hand.
Relace The Glove
After finishing cleaning the glove, it’s time to restore it by Relacing the baseball glove. To lace it, you will need three materials that will help you out.
The video below will surely help you replace your gloves and make the baseball glove ready to use again.
You can also look for the best glove under $200 at a budget-friendly price for you.
There are many methods available for how to oil an old baseball glove, but the above method that we have discussed is ideal for cleaning your baseball glove and making them again a new one. We hope you like our article, and we helped you with the information you were looking for.